Cucumber & Tomato Salsa with MintPrint
I’m on a raw kick. Turning on the oven just doesn’t appeal to me. I carry home rainbow bundles of bright fruits and veggies and just want to eat them, simply. A little salt and pepper maybe. A drizzle of olive oil and vinegar. Some fresh lemon juice. A sprinkle of fresh herbs. Perfect food needs only simple complements. Eat it raw. Whole. Alive.
This was meant as a salsa but I’ve eaten it on and with everything in my kitchen the last few days. It’s great alone, scooped up with blue corn chips, or mixed with baby lettuces and avocado as a salad. Toss it with warm roasted vegetables to lend some freshness. Or scatter some over grilled fish and spicy tacos. Fresh + honest.
Cucumber + Tomato Salsa with Mint
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup diced cucumber (peeled if skin is tough)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- Half a large red onion, diced and rinsed under cool water*
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt, to taste
*Rinsing the red onion will take out some of the harshness of raw onion – definitely do this if not eating immediately
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl. Chill in fridge for a bit to let flavors mix.
- Eat alone, as a dip or in salads, or as a condiment for tacos and grilled things.