Smoky Pumpkin HummusPrint
There is at least a punky spark in my heart and it may blaze in this autumn gold…
I would like to have dinner with John Muir…he made beautiful words. We would eat simple things and stare at the trees. And he would just speak for hours on his hopeless love for this earth and our place in it. And I’d stare at his beard and scribble bits of brilliance on my napkin and hope to someday understand like he does.
I bet he would like pumpkin hummus. It’s smoky and earthy and the color of fall. I hope it feeds the punky spark in your heart…
Smoky Pumpkin Hummus
Enough for a few folks
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2 tablespoons tahini (or water)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pepitas + paprika, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except pepitas and paprika) in blender and blend until mostly smooth. Push mixture down with spoon, blend, repeat, until you reach desired consistency. Taste for salt and add more if necessary.
- Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with paprika and pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and drizzle with a little more olive oil. Serve with warm pita or pita chips.