Wild Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese FlatbreadPrint
I love when someone gives up a bus seat to a total stranger. I feel lucky to witness it. I love when class is over but no one budges because the discussion is that meaningful. And moves you to thoughts of real difference you can make in this world. The spark that starts it. I love full days and the elation of figuring things out. Teasing out what moves me.
I love shiny umbrellas twirling down slick city sidewalks. The arrival of fall. Pumpkins on doorsteps. I love scribbling fragments of thoughts to you while crossing bridges in the rain. Listening to Gillian Welch. Peeking at tail lights through fog-frosted windows.
I love wild, whirlwind days. Wild hopes for what we can do with them. Wildly passionate people…
And wild, whimsical mushrooms scattered over toasty flatbread. With goat cheese + sweet caramelized onions. Hope you fall wildly in love…
Wild Mushroom, Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Flatbread
Makes 1 pizza
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms (I used shiitake, cremini, oyster and portabellas), sliced
- 1 red or yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- Fresh thyme
- 1 whole wheat flatbread or thin pizza crust
- 1/3 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2-3 ounces soft goat cheese
- A few tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Salt + cracked pepper
- Heat about a tablespoon of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until softened (don’t overcook). Season with salt + cracked pepper. Transfer to plate.
- Add sliced onion to same skillet. Season with salt + pepper and a sprinkle of fresh thyme. Cook until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Spread ricotta evenly over crust. Top with caramelized onions and cooked mushrooms (discard any water that has gathered on plate). Crumble goat cheese over mushrooms and sprinkle with Parmesan. Season with a bit more salt + cracked pepper.
- Bake according to crust instructions. Remove from oven and sprinkle with more fresh thyme. Cut into wedges.