Low Fat Gingerbread Pecan LoafPrint
I had the best weekend! I met Adam and Lucy of Thistles and Clover on Saturday. They are wonderful, and I learned a lot about their day-to-day on the farm. I had moments throughout the morning where I was very conscious that something important and meaningful was being discussed and realized how lucky I was to be standing there among these people. I never thought handing packages of meat to eager customers would be so inspiring. But it was, as were these hard-working Iowans who dedicate every waking minute to bringing quality products to customers they know by name. Look forward to a full post about them…it will be something special.
Two sweet friends visited this weekend as well. We ate and talked and slept late and laughed and skipped through the snow. Oliver and Kristen, thanks for bringing your magic to Omaha.
This gingerbread is something you can bake up and nibble by the fire with your morning coffee or tea. Crunchy pecans, raisins, molasses…brought together in rich spice. We’ve been granted a beautiful snow day today to make with what we will. A big pot of soup is in my future as is some reading and writing (and a very important football game). I’ll most likey polish off this bread. And listen to voices like this:
Gillian Welch & David Rawlings – Look at Miss Ohio
Jill Andrews – Sweetest in the Morning
Makes 1-9×5 inch loaf
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup warm low-fat milk (just pop in microwave for 30 seconds or so)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons prune baby food (or applesauce)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar (add up to 1/4 cup more if you like sweeter bread)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, clove, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Combine milk and next 4 ingredients (through eggs) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add sugar, stirring until well blended. Make a well in center of flour mixture. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; stir just until combined. Stir in raisins and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan using a rubber spatula. Sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans in a 2 1/2-inch-wide strip down center of loaf. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack. Serve with apple butter.
Adapted from Cooking Light