Whole Wheat Zucchini Walnut BreadPrint
This bread is a tangible memory. It’s something my mom always made in the summers growing up. It’s warm and cinnamon-y and full of fresh zucchini and crunchy walnuts. There’s plenty of love in there too. It speaks when you eat it…
Today is a beautiful summer day — go play.
Slather this with honey-sweetened cream cheese and orange marmalade, yum. Wrap a loaf up for your sweet neighbor. Tuck some into your freezer for a cozy Sunday breakfast. Or eat it all, straight from the oven…
Whole Wheat Zucchini Walnut Bread
Makes 2 standard or 3 medium loaves
- 3 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can also use all-purpose)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups grated fresh zucchini
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray 2 standard loaf pans (or 3 medium) with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped nuts with spatula. Divide batter among greased loaf pans.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes (depending on size of pans) or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve with honey-sweetened cream cheese and jam.