Almond Honey Cake with Orange-Rosemary GlazePrint
No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other’s worth.
My friend was in town this weekend. She is a sunflower of happiness. We frolicked about town, chatted by the river, sampled tiny chocolates, drank wine and listened, giggled over perfect apples from the farmers’ market, twirled in a precious honey store, made a simple almond cake…
She’s part of my heart, and I love her always. This almond cake is for friendship. It is tender and imperfect. Decorated with a syrupy orange and rosemary glaze. Sweet perfume. Love by the slice.
Almond Honey Cake with Orange-Rosemary Glaze
Makes 1 (9-inch) round cake
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup golden honey
- 1 3/4 cups almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For Glaze (you will have extra)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Half the zest and all of the juice of 1 orange
- Splash of vanilla
- Good pinch of minced fresh rosemary (a teaspoon maybe)
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9-inch round baking pan with parchment paper – spray the paper lightly with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs until thick and tripled in volume. Add honey slowly, beating until very thick.* Slowly fold in extracts and then almond meal and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden and set in center. Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out.
- While cake is baking, prepare glaze. Whisk all glaze ingredients in small dish. Drizzle over cooled cake.
*To easily measure and pour honey, spray measuring cup with nonstick spray before adding honey
*Almond meal and honey make this cake very very moist. Yum.