Black Bean and Potato Tortilla PiePrint
I was craving Mexican food and had a bowl of freshly dug potatoes. Done.
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas (9-10 inches in diameter)
- cooking spray
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium potato, diced
- black bean dip or salsa
- cumin, chili powder and salt, to taste
- shredded cheese (I used sharp white cheddar and manchego)
- garnish – fresh cilantro and sour cream with lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a pie dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a little bit of vegetable oil in a medium skillet and saute diced potato until tender (cover with lid and steam). Season potato with cumin, chili powder and salt to taste while cooking. Transfer to plate.
- Add red onion to skillet, sprinkle with a little more cumin and chili powder and a tiny pinch of salt and saute until tender. During last minute of cooking, add minced garlic to skillet. Remove from heat.
- Spread black bean dip or salsa on one side of first tortilla. Place spread side up in greased pie dish. Sprinkle with a small amount of cheese, 1/3 of potatoes, 1/3 of onions and 1/3 of black beans. Repeat layers two more times making sure to sprinkle cheese on each layer. I only put black bean dip on two of the tortillas. End with fourth tortilla (no toppings on last tortilla) and spray top with cooking spray.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees and cook an additional 15 minutes until lightly browned and cheese is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into four wedges. Garnish with cilantro and sour cream mixed with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
More → Veggie Mains